Coronavirus (Covid-19) – Updates and Information
We are Open!
Further to the government’s most recent announcement, we are delighted to say we reopened on 25 July.
Below is a mass of information about what is happening at Sandown, our current timetables, information about how to book online, stay safe and much more.
Coronavirus (Covid-19) FAQS
From 25 July the club will be open as follows:
Monday to Friday – 0700 – 2100
Saturday and Sunday – 0800 – 1630
Health and safety remains our top priority. As you would expect, your visit is going to be a little different to before but everything we are introducing is with your safety, and our staff’s safety in mind.
With that in mind, we have reviewed how we operate every single part of Sandown Sports to make sure that you have a brilliant, safe visit. Some things will be new, but you’ll probably already be used to a lot of the new measures such as social distancing and being encouraged to use cards rather than cash, as these have become the new normal when visiting supermarkets and other outlets.
More details on our plans can be found in our FAQs and supporting information and please remember, this is just the first stage of updating you. We’ll be sharing more information and plans may change slightly as we continue to follow Government guidance.
We can’t wait to see you soon!
- We will be running 90 minute slots with a cleaning break in between each session. The first of these slots (25 July) will be released as before 6 days before (19 July).
- Each slot will currently have capacity for 20 people.
- A maximum capacity will be introduced for each area of the gym floor (Blue room, DB room, Cardio area and Resistance Machine area)
- Bookings are online and by telephone only. These can be booked via the Clublink App.
- Priorty will be given to active members
- Please come ready to train, the changing rooms will be open, but with restrictions and we would recommend you come dressed and ready to go.
- Some of the machines will be out of action to allow for social distancing and we will update these pages with more details. Please also have a look on social for video walk round and other announcements.
- Water – please bring your own in your own water bottle. The water machines are currently turned off.
- Towels – UK Active advise not to permit towels in the gym. Please only bring yourself, a water bottle and one media device.
- Cleaning – please observe normal cleaning protocols and be extra thorough in cleaning up after you have used the equipment.
- Areas will be marked on the floor in more open areas (such as the weights area) for customers to work within to maintain social distancing.Sanitising stations will be available, including hand sanitiser, antibacterial spray with tissue and/or wipes.
- Personal Training – will be carried out from a safe distance, and clients will be instructed to collect and clean their own equipment where possible.
- Virtual classes will continue where possible until it is safe to return to normal capacity classes.
- Ventilation – we have installed four new extractor fans in the gym which will draw in fresh air and extract air and we will of course be leaving doors and windows open where practicable.
England Squash has now updated their advice which we will be following. Below is a summary of how you can stay safe and how you will be able to play. More information can be found on England Squash Website and we would encourage all squash players to please read these guidelines:
How to Play
1) Match play / Full squash game Players from the same household or support bubble can play ‘normal’ squash as they would have previous to COVID-19.
2) Solo practice Individual players can practice squash on their own. Options include a range of solo practices and drills to help maintain and improve squash skills.
3) Sides ‘Sides’ is a modified version of the game that allows two players from different households (not in a support bubble) to play on court at the same time: • Only two players permitted • The aim is to hit a winner or force an error from your opponent as in regular squash • Only one player serves / touches the ball with their hand during the match • Both players must keep to their side of the court throughout each rally, using the full length of the court whilst maintaining safe social distancing throughout • If a player crosses into the other side of the court, they immediately forfeit the rally • If there is a danger of players breaching a safe social distance, they must call a let and replay the rally • Once a rally is complete, players switch sides of the court (maintaining a safe social distance) and the server restarts play For full details of how to play ‘Sides’, see the video here.
4) Coach-led activities Up to 5 players from different households can be coached in the same session so long as social distancing requirements are maintained at all times, including when on court. • Coach must have an England Squash qualification. • Maximum of 2 players per court.
Guidelines for staying safe
- Please come ready to play, England Squash are recommending you arrive ready to play and take all your kit onto court.
- Bookings will only be online or over the phone. No walk-ins will be permitted to play.
- Game times will be staggered with a 15 min break in between for cleaning and air circulation
- Please note, there will be no hire equipment available. Balls and Grips can still be purchased.
- If you sweat a lot, please bring a change of clothes
- Kit backs are to be taken into the court
- You are permitted to bring a towel
- Walls – please do not rub your hands on them
- Handshaking – currently off limits as well
- Water bottles only please. The water machines will be turned off so please bring your own bottle and water and please keep the bottle in your bag, not on the court floor. Thanks 🙂
- Spectators are not currently permitted.
Please call us or email with any questions you may have.
- Please come ready to train, the changing rooms will be open, but with restrictions and we would recommend you come dressed and ready to go.
- Reduced class sizes will be in operation (currently 5 plus instructor)
- Bookings will be only available online or over the phone. The first of these slots (25 July) will be released as before 6 days before (19 July). You will need to be an active member to book.
- The timetable currently looks like this, but is of course subject to change:
- Floor markings will be in place and cycle will be taped off/moved in the spin studio
- Equipment will be thoroughly cleaned with wipes/ sprays provided after each use.
- No boxing gloves or pads will be available to use at this time.
- Instructors will have the equipment ready and only one person will be allowed in the equipment store at any one time
- Sweat towels will not be permitted in the studio.
- When possible, doors will be left open to help circulate the air, and air con will be switched on.
- There will be a minimum of a 10-minute window between classes, and customers are asked to please wait outside if early.
- Instructors will not have hands on contact with participants and will keep the appropriate distance unless needing to administer first aid
- No personal belongings other than a water bottle may be permitted into the studio.
Table Tennis will also be back from 30 July.
Table Tennis England has recommended the following which we will be adhering to along with our other Covid plans:
- Venue to be kept well ventilated, with any ventilation system kept on or windows/doors remaining open wherever possible.
- Fixing doors open that can be safely left open where feasible
- Bags to be taken into the court
- Hand sanitising points will be available
- Tables will be cleaned before and after the session
- Government social distancing & hygiene measures to be followed at all times
- Players can play in bubbles of six, with social distancing measures adhered to.
- No doubles play, unless from the same household
- No handshaking, breathing on the ball or wiping hands on the table
- Towels and water bottles to always be kept in a player’s bag
- 2 players per court and up to 2 additional players plus 1 organiser/coach per session
- Bring own personal bat and TT balls
- Ensure TT balls are cleaned regularly
- Surrounds not to be handled by players
- No use of changing rooms or showers, except for toilets
- Players to use own hand gel each session
The Terrace Bar will be open from 25 July and for more information on opening times and to reserve a table please visit the website.
Ventilation is an important part of mitigating against the transmission of COVID-19. Ventilation into the building has been optimised to ensure a fresh air supply is provided to all areas of the facility and increased wherever possible. The following is what we have and have enhanced:
- We have installed new powerful extractor fans in the upstairs gym. These will be left on 24/7 pursuant to government advice.
- Both changing rooms also have brand new extractor fans. These will be left on 24/7 pursuant to government advice.
- Doors and windows will be left open where possible to allow for maximum air flow
We are open in line with the latest Government guidance. We look forward to welcoming you back and the health and safety of our guests and staff is always our number one priority.
We have limited capacity and with pre-booked tickets only, in addition to a range of new hygiene and safety measures which guests will see throughout the grounds and club. This ocntinues to be reviewed and tweaked accordingly.
We will provide an extensive range of safety measures, designed to ensure a happy, safe and healthy experience for all guests and staff as follows:
Before you Arrive
Please make sure you have made your booking online. Only Pre-booked tickets will be accepted.
Before leaving home, please check our website and social media pages for the latest information. Please have a look at the route map to see how the one systems will work.
If you do have to pay for anything, please be ready to make on-site payments using a ‘contactless’ bank card, rather than cash.
Guests may be required to wear a face mask in order to partake in some activities, such as ringos. Face masks will not be cumpulosry within the gym and fitness studio, but we would encourage their use.
We politely request that you refrain from visiting should you start displaying any of the symptoms associated with COVID-19.
When you Arrive
We have put in place measures to reduce capacity, such as timed slots for the gym to allow for social distancing and the best possible guest experience.
You will notice new information signage informing them of key safety messages and instructions. If parking your car, please observe the advice to park one space over. With reduced capacity the car park will not be full and there is no need to park next to someone else.
We have introduced clear markers and new signs to allow for social distancing. This is in all areas including toilets to help guests keep a safe distance from one another. Our staff will monitor to ensure that social distancing is being maintained.
The Terrace Bar will be rearranging their eating and drinking areas to allow for social distancing. Tables and chairs will be reconfigured to ensure enough distance between seated parties. In areas where different parties are usually seated together, seats will be removed or blocked to ensure there is a suitable gap between guests.
We have developed new plans for all our activites to allows for social distancing. This includes leaving empty gym machines between guests working out and leaving empty bikes in the spin studio along with reduced capacity.
We have installed new hygiene screens at all receiption areas.
We have modified some of our standard operating protocols to reduce the proximity of our employees to guests. For example, personal training will be adpated to avoid close contact in routines.
Hygiene and Cleaning
We have introduced Enhanced Cleaning measures, throughout the day, which seek to disinfect high-frequency touch points, such as tables and chairs, service counters, toilet flush handles and buttons, gym equipment door handles etc. Doors will be left open where possible.
We have installed a large number of hygiene stations and hand sanitiser dispensers around the building for you to use.
We have introduced new Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements for a range of activities that employees routinely perform. These include face masks, disposable gloves, eye protection and hand sanitiser. The use of such equipment and clothing by our employees is both to protect them and our guests.
As with our employees, we politely request that all our guests uphold the highest possible hygiene standards – whether it be when sneezing or coughing, through regular hand washing or the frequent application of hand sanitiser.
Our employees have all completed COVID-19 specific training programmes instructing them how to stay safe as well as how to keep our guests safe.
Yes…. we will continue to live stream many of your favourite classes for you to do from home!
Please check out the timetable page.
Is now back on ! Please see the Adventure Camp pages to book and for more information and FAQs.
Are back up and running and can be booked by calling us on 01372 467 132
Please fill out the form below to manage your booking.
If you have already received a voucher or rescheduled your booking please do not fill out the form and just ignore this page.
If you choose to take a voucher or reschedule please note we are also currently offering the following:
Birthday Parties – We are doubling the number of children you can bring. You can now bring up to 16 kids.
Easter Ski Camp – We are rescheduling for later in the year when we are back and planning to have Team GB instructor in place.
Ski Lessons – vouchers are valid for 12 months and we are increasing the number of people you can have in the lesson to six for one hour lesson and 2 for half hour lesson.
Vouchers can be used as credit for any of our activities for a period of 12 months from when we reopen.
SUPPORT AND INFORMATION
Please check the following websites for the latest official updates and guidance: